Leucosticte

MacKenzie Bezos: "We each come by the gifts we have to offer by an infinite series of influences and lucky breaks"

Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Jeff Bezos's ex-wife has announced she is committing to giving half the fortune she got in the divorce to charity:
“We each come by the gifts we have to offer by an infinite series of influences and lucky breaks we can never fully understand. In addition to whatever assets life has nurtured in me, I have a disproportionate amount of money to share,” MacKenzie Bezos said in her letter. “My approach to philanthropy will continue to be thoughtful. It will take time and effort and care. But I won’t wait. And I will keep at it until the safe is empty.”
So she's going to squander the money she stole from him on a bunch of feel-good projects. The "influence" and the "lucky break" she refers to are the fact that she married the guy who would become the richest man in the world. She's right, though, that the rest of what was involved in building that fortune she could probably never fully understand.

No doubt the charitably scammy vultures are already circling, trying to figure out a way to part this fool from her money.

PillBoxer

Re: MacKenzie Bezos: "We each come by the gifts we have to offer by an infinite series of influences and lucky breaks"

Tue May 28, 2019 4:15 pm

This is the sort of problem you have with people that either didn't earn the money they got or got it through means that didn't let them appreciate the hard work involved (like lottery winners or some celebrities).

Is she still going to tag him for child support on top of this?

ataraxia

Re: MacKenzie Bezos: "We each come by the gifts we have to offer by an infinite series of influences and lucky breaks"

Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Well, BIll Gates earned his fortune, and look what he's doing with it. And somehow he convinced Warren Buffet — who also earned his fortune — and others to waste their wealth on frivolous, Sisyphean, feel-good schemes as well. So the issue is not necessarily how the fortune was earned but rather that they feel guilty about being rich and thus want to appear sanctimonious by donating it to "just" causes, no matter how shitty or ineffectual.

Return to “Everything Else”