icycalm
Site Admin

(((Christianity)))

Sun May 26, 2019 7:31 am

I heard a rumor--not sure if true--that this religion was started by a bunch of Jews.

Now, personally, I have no problem with Jews. I even like them very much.

But I just fail to understand how people who hate Jews would adopt a Jewish religion.

Maybe someone can explain it to me.

ataraxia

Re: (((Christianity)))

Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 pm

They grew up seeing all those portraits of cool, clean, attractive, and decidedly not-Semitic, clearly Nordic Jesus:

...and didn't realize that the real Jesus was an undistinguished, unattractive, unexceptional Jew:

http://www.teoti.com/religion/139106-je ... warf-.html
The image of a rather unatractive Jesus is provided by numerous other sources:

In the Coptic Acts of Paul and Thecla, Paul describes him as “a man small in size, bald-headed with eyebrows meeting, rather hook-nosed” (v.3)

In the Acts of Peter, Peter quotes a prophet who described Jesus “And we saw him and he had no beauty nor comeliness" (v. 24).

In the Acts of John, John says: “And oft-times he [Jesus] would appear to me as a small man and uncomely" (v. 89)

The monk Dionysius of Fourna in a "Handbook of Painting", specifies “beautiful eyebrows that meet” in the section entitled: “On the countenance and form of our Lord as we have learned it from those who have seen Him with their own eyes."

An 8th century description of Christ is found in the works of St. John of Damascus, in his Epistola ad Theophilum include: "beautiful eyes, with eyebrows that meet”.

One of the Fathers of Christianity, Origen Adamantius, preserved some of the work of the Greek philosopher, Celsus, who described Jesus as “small and ugly and undistinguished.” Celsus is also possibly the source of the claim that Jesus’s father was a Roman soldier named Panthera.
“beautiful eyebrows that meet” lol.

Bortimus

Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 am

I think it's that all the good Jews supposedly converted to Christianity, and all the Jews we see today are the evil ones. Plus Jew-hating was more or less a cultural thing in pre-modern times, not a racial thing. The Nazis were the ones obsessed with genetic purity: prior to them pogroms typically included an opportunity to convert to Christianity, hence Jewy-looking Spaniards.

icycalm
Site Admin

Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am

The origin of the traditional Jesus look is even funnier than that. It seems to have been copied from that of notorious Renaissance prince Cesare Borgia, the model of the ruthless tyrant Machiavelli used for his Prince.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/01/ ... -of-jesus/

The Jesus the Christians worship and whose images they kiss was a cold-blooded tyrant.

ataraxia

Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Oh shit, I completely forgot about that connection! It reminds me of a section from the Antichrist:
Nietzsche wrote: I envisage a possibility of a perfectly supraterrestrial magic and fascination of color: it seems to me that it glistens in all the tremors of subtle beauty, that an art is at work in it, so divine, so devilishly divine that one searches millennia in vain for a second such possibility; I envisage a spectacle so ingenious, so wonderfully paradoxical at the same time, that all the deities on Olympus would have had occasion for immortal laughter: Cesare Borgia as pope. Am I understood? Well then, that would have been the victory which alone I crave today: with that, Christianity would have been abolished.

Return to “Everything Else”