icycalm
Site Admin

MCU going SJW

Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 am

In my view, Spider-Man: Homecoming was the movie in which the MCU went SJW. Previous movies had the odd SJW element here or there (e.g. Heimdall made black for Thor), but they weren't noticeable if you weren't looking for them.

And then suddenly, with Homecoming, we have a deluge of blatant SJW material:

-Romantic interest is a black girl (whereas never in the history of Spider-Man did he go after a black woman, to my knowledge)
-His best buddy is Filipino
-The school bully Flash goes from being a big blond guy to a wimpy Pakistani kid
-Mary Jane becomes latino
-In the Washington Monument scene the latino MJ tells Peter that she's not going in because the thing was built by slaves, and the disbelieving Peter turns to the black security guard who confirms that yes, the monument was indeed constructed by slave labor. I wish I was making this stuff up, but I am not
-And in general, there are almost more non-white characters and extras in the movie than whites. It looks ridiculous at times

Still haven't seen Black Panther and anything that came after, but I will be soon. Homecoming was a good movie, but the SJW stuff pissed me off, so I expect to be getting more and more pissed off with every movie, from what I hear. And then we have the Homecoming sequel in July, which will probably be worse :(

diamonddigger870

Re: MCU going SJW

Sun May 26, 2019 1:17 am

I saw Black Panther in theaters. It didn't have as many instances of SJW pandering as Homecoming, but the one White guy in the movie that wasn't an antagonist (don't remember if he was FBI or CIA) was kinda put down by the Wakandan protagonists. It sort of makes sense considering the differences in science and technology between the Wakadans and Americans, but considering the goals of the movie's antagonist and the things he had to say about "oppressors" in Western European nations there's definitely some SJW pandering in it still.

questor70

Sun May 26, 2019 2:44 am

Black Panther was SJW. It's just that the characters AROUND T'Challa dished out the white male hatred while T'Challa was all zen and MLK-like, so it doesn't feel quite as offensive.

And there were a flurry of articles that glorified Killmonger for being some sort of Malcolm X revolutionary, that it was justified for him to have the blood on his hands.

Lastly, Andy Serkis being "fridged" by Killmonger was a Snoke style act of plot-subversion motivated by reverse-racism. The plot wanted the audience to assume Serkis was the real villain so Coogler could get rid of him for shock value and to glorify Killmonger black-pride style.

PillBoxer

Sun May 26, 2019 4:18 am

Black Panther was SJW from the outset. Only in an imaginary world could there be a rich, prosperous, top-end society in the middle of Africa. It's not a racist thing, it's a reality. I see all these people wearing Wakanda t-shirts as a matter of black pride, fully unaware that they're endorsing the fact that the only place an African nation in our time could ever lead the world in anything would be in a comic book movie.

Overall, Avengers: Endgame did exactly what it said. It's the end of it being a good series.

sheriffbart

Sun May 26, 2019 8:57 am

I would never pay money for a theatre ticket to be propagandized, but I will accept a little propaganda from a torrent I download along with the poker ads. Oh well.

The 'get woke, go broke' thing is still playing itself out. It's not all up to the market, however. The lower ticket sales are partially made up for by those who are funding the propaganda.

Return to “Everything Else”