Stormbringer

The Second Civil War

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1maFbyzxDo

This film from 1997 portrays a level of dysfunction in America that could be seen as analogous to what's occurring today. It's intended to be a dark comedy and while it has its laughs, for me at least they came in the form of hard hitting truth bombs in the plot moreso than the dialogue. Still, it's an enjoyable watch and if nothing else could spur an interesting discussion.

WomenAreStupidSite

Re: The Second Civil War

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:45 pm

there ain't gonna be any civil war, man. You think Americans are gonna put down the TV remote and bag of cheetos and Mountain Dew soda and suddenly go out and fight in some civil war? It ain't happening. It's just conspiracy bullshit mostly.
women are dumb. Throw rocks at them https://womenarestupid.site/

Stormbringer

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:02 am

If you want to know my personal view on the likelihood of a Civil War happening in the future, I think it's only a matter of time at this rate. You have an entire generation of disenfranchised young men who, rightfully or otherwise, feel that they have nothing to lose. A not insignificant portion of those men do nothing but go to work, the gym, and the range. If the ruling class and their shock troops are successful in taking away those men's jobs as they are starting to be, we will inevitably see a rise in right-wing extremism that will manifest as terrorism and, eventually, civil unrest.

As for the film, I think it gets some things wrong but many things right. The premise of the film is that the federal government is trying to force refugees into middle America, causing individual states to activate their National Guard units. We've already seen the federal government force refugees into states like Minnesota and they've yet to revolt. If anything, the conflict between state and federal government today is predicated on the exact opposite: sanctuary states fighting against the federal government to protect their population of economic migrants from Latin America. In this way, the film failed to predict the future.

In other ways, however, I think it's spot on. The growing divide among ethnic lines, the political class selectively using immigration to help shape electoral demographics, etc. It's also worth noting that all real world exercises involving a modern Civil War result in roughly half of the US Armed Forces defecting immediately, much like in the film. It seems to me like the producers of this film had a firm grasp on the long term effects of globalist economic and immigration policies long before the results of these policies had firmly planted themselves in the public discourse. Perhaps they were fans of Ross Perot?

icycalm
Site Admin

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Watched a bit of the start. It's a low-budget made-for-TV film with B-list actors and it shows. The social commentary wasn't enough for me to take an interest in these characters, so I stopped watching after about 15 mins. Maybe I'll give it another chance later.

Occum

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 pm

All it will take is libtards taking the White House and both houses of Congress. Next time they have this situation they will go all in. Implement all their crazy shit. That will be the trigger.

Stormbringer

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:20 pm

icycalm wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm
Watched a bit of the start. It's a low-budget made-for-TV film with B-list actors and it shows. The social commentary wasn't enough for me to take an interest in these characters, so I stopped watching after about 15 mins. Maybe I'll give it another chance later.
Phil Hartman steals the show later on and James Earl Jones offers enough of his secret ingredient to make the film passable from a critical perspective. Not the best movie by any stretch of the imagination, but one that could be re-made today with almost no changes to the plot and it'd be well received by modern audiences.
Occum wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:15 pm
All it will take is libtards taking the White House and both houses of Congress. Next time they have this situation they will go all in. Implement all their crazy shit. That will be the trigger.
It's hard to time the market, so to speak, but I generally agree that we're only an administration away from something serious kicking off. It may very well be the re-election of Trump that does it. I think it'll hinge largely on two things: if and when the war with Iran starts, as well as when the next recession hits.

Return to “Everything Else”