User avatar
icycalm
Site Admin
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 11:06 pm

The dumb tourists thread

Sun May 26, 2019 12:33 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier
Wikipedia wrote:Otto Frederick Warmbier (December 12, 1994 – June 19, 2017) was an American university student who, while visiting North Korea as a tourist in January 2016, was arrested and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment with hard labor after being convicted for attempted theft of a propaganda poster from his hotel.
British woman languishes in Egyptian jail for carrying painkillers
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ainkillers

PillBoxer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 4:05 am

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm

In my own experience, Chinese nationals are the worst tourists. Studies back me up on this. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ts-so-rude

Covfefe
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm

PillBoxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm
In my own experience, Chinese nationals are the worst tourists. Studies back me up on this. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ts-so-rude
Oh man, I ended up in a Chinese tour group once. Without doxing myself too much I'll just say I'm a western-born non-Chinese Asian, so I visually fit in. Had some amusing experiences:

The buffet was like a warzone. Everyone was just hovering over the shrimp and seafood section of the buffet, no sense of falling in line or waiting for your turn at all. I gave up and ate vegetarian that day.

One Chinese man ordered tea at a local cafe. When he was offered the tray of tea bags instead of taking only one bag, he stuffed the entire tray into his backpack. Everyone around him started yelling at him.

In case you're curious these tour groups are absolutely terrible game-wise, it's mostly families.

I will give Chinese tourists MAJOR credit for one thing though. They stick to large groups being led by an experienced tour guide with a giant flag...staying safe. None of the "Scandinavian girls visit Morocco, go off by themselves with extremist Muslims, and get decapitated on camera" craziness: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ested.html

HardKnocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Covfefe wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm
PillBoxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm
In my own experience, Chinese nationals are the worst tourists. Studies back me up on this. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ts-so-rude
I will give Chinese tourists MAJOR credit for one thing though. They stick to large groups being led by an experienced tour guide with a giant flag...staying safe. None of the "Scandinavian girls visit Morocco, go off by themselves with extremist Muslims, and get decapitated on camera" craziness: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ested.html
Ya dropping money and acting retarded seems to be their MO. Loud, obnoxious and oblivious to everyone not in their pack.

PillBoxer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 4:05 am

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Tue May 28, 2019 4:25 pm

HardKnocks wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm
Covfefe wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm
PillBoxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm
In my own experience, Chinese nationals are the worst tourists. Studies back me up on this. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ts-so-rude
I will give Chinese tourists MAJOR credit for one thing though. They stick to large groups being led by an experienced tour guide with a giant flag...staying safe. None of the "Scandinavian girls visit Morocco, go off by themselves with extremist Muslims, and get decapitated on camera" craziness: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ested.html
Ya dropping money and acting retarded seems to be their MO. Loud, obnoxious and oblivious to everyone not in their pack.
I don't see the point of traveling internationally if you're not going to mingle with the people there. You can window shop from Google Maps.

I could go on all day about the Chinese tourists. I was ordering a pastry in Tokyo and one came and stood in front of me and the cashier and started pointing out what she wanted after I'd already ordered. She actually crammed herself in the 6 inches between me and the counter to do it. And no, it wasn't a power move to get me excited. The cashier had to swat her away when she came back to give me the food.

I was the only one in line.

User avatar
ataraxia
Moderator
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 am

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm

I lived in Tokyo for a while, and it doesn't take long to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, even from a distance. You'll be in a tranquil, quiet setting, and suddenly a group of people will show up, talking loudly to each other — Chinese. Or you'll notice someone on the opposite site of the street, dressed in bright, random colors, pushing a suitcase — Chinese. Or a man will decide to tie his shoes RIGHT in the middle of the crowded sidewalk — again, Chinese. All the good NPC Japanese understand their high-context culture and how to appear and act in all public situations, and anyone who deviates from these standards isn't Japanese, and those who REALLY diverge in their behavior are almost always Chinese.

PillBoxer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 4:05 am

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:52 pm

ataraxia wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm
I lived in Tokyo for a while, and it doesn't take long to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, even from a distance. You'll be in a tranquil, quiet setting, and suddenly a group of people will show up, talking loudly to each other — Chinese. Or you'll notice someone on the opposite site of the street, dressed in bright, random colors, pushing a suitcase — Chinese. Or a man will decide to tie his shoes RIGHT in the middle of the crowded sidewalk — again, Chinese. All the good NPC Japanese understand their high-context culture and how to appear and act in all public situations, and anyone who deviates from these standards isn't Japanese, and those who REALLY diverge in their behavior are almost always Chinese.
I'm sure some of the other posters here could answer this question for me, but what is it like in mainland China? I can't imagine a society operating smoothly if they're always cutting in line and acting out.

User avatar
ataraxia
Moderator
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 am

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I've also lived there for a bit, and it's not as bad as you think. There's a huge generational gap there between people about 30 and younger versus the older generations. It's mostly those middle-aged and up who are cutting in line, hawking and spitting in public, and so on.

But if you want to compare them to the Japanese, sure, they're uncivilized apes. But all people from other cultures are uncivilized apes in behavior compared to the Japanese, but the Japanese had to sell their souls and literally become NPCs to achieve this. Worthwhile? I don't think so, but it sure is fun to live in their culture as a Westerner and get away with all kinds of shit they'd never dream of doing.

WomenAreStupidSite
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Re: The dumb tourists thread

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 am

HardKnocks wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm
Covfefe wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm
PillBoxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm
In my own experience, Chinese nationals are the worst tourists. Studies back me up on this. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article ... ts-so-rude
I will give Chinese tourists MAJOR credit for one thing though. They stick to large groups being led by an experienced tour guide with a giant flag...staying safe. None of the "Scandinavian girls visit Morocco, go off by themselves with extremist Muslims, and get decapitated on camera" craziness: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ested.html
Ya dropping money and acting retarded seems to be their MO. Loud, obnoxious and oblivious to everyone not in their pack.
I encountered a lot of Chinese in various Asian and Southeast Asian countries. They basically reminded me of Americans. Loud, rude, arrogant, etc. China is the new America. The American dream is fucking dead, but you CAN achieve the same dream in China. China is rich as fuck
women are dumb. Throw rocks at them https://womenarestupid.site/

Return to “Travel”