icycalm
Site Admin

Pick-up lines

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:13 am

I am watching this movie Spread, and four minutes in it floored me.

Narrator: By the way, there’s only one pick-up line, everything else is cheese.

To a girl: Hi, what’s your name?

This really does beat everything. It skips even the direct daygame compliment, so it’s as low-investment as it gets. Still direct, but you’re not complimenting her beyond the compliment of the approach itself. No beating about the bush, you both know what it’s about. Smile lightly and “Hi, what’s your name?” You can give her the compliment if she insists on asking why you opened her. “You look nice and I thought I’d say hi and introduce myself. How’s your day going?” If she’s not being pushy, avoid the compliment and just ask how she’s doing and segue into random stuff: whatever you’re doing today, or the weather or whatever the fuck. If you’re confident enough to use the ultimate pick-up line you should be able to chat forever about whatever with no issues at all. Obviously beginners will need some canned lines and routines until they hopefully get the hang of things, but for me, this will be my default line from now on.

That’s not to say other lines are useless. Yes they are cheesy, but cheese has its place in the grand scheme of things. I remember one time in Barcelona I saw a girl obviously waiting for someone, so I went up to her and said, “Sorry I am late”. Her friends arrived a bit later and they were throwing a birthday event. It didn’t get anywhere with her, but it was a fun encounter. So we can use this thread to share and analyze lines, especially opening lines, but the ultimate one has been settled, I think.

Gonna get back to the movie now. Seems promising so far. It’s with Ashton Kutcher about a playboy/gigolo in LA.

icycalm
Site Admin

Re: Pick-up lines

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:43 pm

Watched the whole movie. Not bad. I may write a review later.

I was wrong about the pick-up line though. It can't really be used in the street. In the movie, it's used in a bar, which is okay because a bar approach is considered a warm approach since it's a social environment where people expect to talk to strangers. So it's not weird at all to go up to a girl and ask her name right off the bat. In the street, it's totally socially unacceptable to do this, unless it is a warm street approach, e.g. if you've been exchanging looks, she smiled at you etc. Then it makes sense. But to run up to a girl who hasn't even seen you and stop her and ask her name, that's weird af. You HAVE to give a reason in that case, and that's why we use the lightest compliment we can think of in direct approaches, like "You look nice today so I thought I'd say hi", etc.

I just got excited by the movie because it made the approach seem so easy and natural. That's definitely the ultimate WARM approach at any rate. For cold approaches, the line itself needs to be a bit warmer in order to warm up the interaction.

Return to “Game”